Connecting the micro-controller board to your DB25 input motor driver board:
Most users will already have one or more motor driver boards having a DB25 male input connector and use two pins, i.e., direction and step, to control each motor. Most boards will be compatible with the low voltage, i.e., 3.3 volt, processor outputs although some may require 5 volt signal level conversion.
A suggested method to connect the processor board to you current motor driver board is as follows:
1) Order a DB25 Female to DB25 Female cable from:
2) Cut the cable in half. This will give your two cables.
3) Strip the cable sheath back 4 inches to give you generous length for the signal wires.
4) Cut the braided shield back 3 inches and unravel,
5) Using a wire wrap tool, available from Radio Shack, strip the signal wire insulation back about 3/4 inch and twist the strands together.
6) The cable will probably use the color code chart provide below. You should check that it does using a continuity tester.
7) Use a small nylon cable tie to anchor the parallel cable to one of the three mounting holes.
8) Assign pins for the motor axes and other outputs in the host application.
9) Here you have a choice of either wire wrap connections or solder connections.
9a) The EK-TM4C1294XL Connected Launchpad has seven ground solder pad holes on the side breadboard area. Solder 0.025” square wire wrap pins to a few or all of the ground pads.
9b) Make a solder ground connection for the cable shield to a pair of adjacent ground pins.
9c) Use the wire wrap tool to twist the wire ends to the BoosterPack 0.025” square posts corresponding to the assigned GPIO outputs.
9d) Ground at least one unassigned DB25 high numbered pin.
9e) The EK-TM4C1294XL Connected Launchpad has seven ground solder pad holes on the side breadboard area.
9f) Solder 0.025” square wire wrap pins to a pair of adjacent ground pads. Solder the cable shield to these pins.
9g) Solder the parallel wire ends to the corresponding breadboard signal pad.
Parallel Cable Color Coding
6 Dark Green
12 Light Green
13 Black with White stripe
14 Brown with White stripe
15 Red with White stripe
16 Orange with White stripe
17 Green with White stripe
18 Blue with White stripe
19 Violet with White stripe
20 Red with Black stripe
21 Orange with Black stripe
22 Yellow with Black stripe
23 Green with Black stripe
24 Grey with Black stripe
25 Pink with Black stripe
Shield Bare wire
Parallel Cable Wiring